The Brant Artillery Club, Unit 60 of the Canadian Corps Association, officially opened it's doors at noon on May 15th, 1964 at it's new location, on the top of the hill for all to see, at the corner of Henry and Rawdon Streets.
The club was founded shortly after the Second World War, when a group of artillerymen started the organization in 1948. The personnel came largely from the 54th and 69th Batteries, along with smaller numbers from the 102nd and 11th Battery.
Les Butcher was the first president, and held that office for several years. During this time, the first clubrooms were in the third-storey premises located at the corner of Market and Colborne Streets.
In 1956, the club acquired the Lefebvre Mattress Company building at 288 Murray Street and, largely with volunteer labor by the members, transformed the former factory building into clubrooms. Larry Attwell was then president of the club.
In 1956, during the presidency of Bill Garnett, the club became Unit 60 of the Canadian Corps Association (Ontario Command). The succeeding presidents, in turn, were Bill Bristowe, Ernie Harwood, Bob Foxall, Wally Bourne, who held office at the time of the opening of the club at the Henry-Rawdon Street location.
A building fund had been accumulated over the years, and in 1961 it was decided to acquire the Henry-and-Rawdon site, and erect a modern club which would rank with the best to be found in Brantford and the surrounding area. Harold Waterhouse was building committee chairman, and serving with him were Wally Bourne, Bob Foxall and Ernie Harwood.
In 2010 a new executive was named after the club had experienced some rough patches in the years prior. After the election, and Peter Sheere was nominated and voted in as president, the bar re-opened under a new executive, and a happy crowd could be heard once again socializing in the basement of the Brant Artillery Gunner's Club.
Due to unforseen circumstances the club had lost it's charter and once the new executive had been elected, the club applied to Canadian Corps and was granted a new charter thus making the club what it's currently known as today, Brant Artillery Gunner's Club Unit 21.
Even though there have been changes made to the club and its name, the Gunner's Club has gone back to it's roots and still serves the purpose it was created for, the good and welfare of all veterans and veterans' dependents.
The club carries out various activities throughout the year and is run purely on a volunteer basis. Whether it's bartending, cleaning, catering or decorating, each member lends a hand to keep the club running like a well oiled machine. After all, isn't that what community and friendship is all about?